I want to share with you one of my favvvvourite go-to meals… salad rolls! I’ve been craving them like crazy lately. They’re super delicious, healthy, and totally satisfying. Especially if you eat them with peanut sauce (because really, what wouldn’t you eat with peanut sauce?) They’re a little time consuming to prep, but trust me once you’ve got them all made you’ll ask yourself, “why the heck haven’t I made these before?!”
What makes these salad rolls a little different than other salad roll recipes that I’ve seen is the inclusion of, you guessed it, spiralized veggies!! Specifically spiralized carrots! One of my personal favorites. They’re sweet and they stay nice and crunchy, which is what you want for a salad roll.
Crispy tofu, crunchy fresh veggies and a warm peanut sauce? What more could you want?
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Total Time: 30-40 minutes
Salad rolls are one of my favorite Summer staples. Easily customizable and healthy!
Recipe Type: Spiralized
Makes: 8 salad rolls
1 package of tofu, pressed and cut into rectangles
Sesame oil or coconut oil, to your preference
1 bell pepper, julienned
2 cups of shredded beets
16 mint leaves
1 bunch of cilantro
8 rice paper wrappers
For the ‘pickled’ carrot noodles
1 jumbo carrot, spiralized
3/4 cup of unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1 cup water
4 TBSP. of honey
1 lime, juiced
1/2 TSP. of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the block of tofu in a clean tea towel or in paper towel and put something heavy on top of it. This will ‘press’ the tofu to take away the extra moisture.
- Once the oven is preheated, cut the tofu into small rectangles and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with sesame or coconut oil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until crispy. Set aside for later when done.
- Prepare the ‘quick pickled’ carrot noodles. Start by combining all the ingredients (minus the noodles) in a large mason jar and shake it around so the honey can disperse.
- Add the ‘noodles’ and leave in the fridge until you’re going to start assembling the rolls.
- Prep all your other veggies. Cut up the peppers, beets, herbs, etc. Cucumbers, purple cabbage, daikon, and jalapeño would be great choices as well.
- Prepare your assembly station. Have the veggies ready, as well as a bowl or plate with hot water to dip your rice paper rolls to soften them.
- To make a salad roll, dip the rice paper into warm water for 10-20 seconds and transfer to a damp surface, I used a plastic cutting board.
- Add the carrot noodles, about 3 pieces of tofu and a pinch of all the other veggies. Don’t forget the herbs! You’ll want to make sure you don’t over stuff the rolls or else you will not be very successful in actually tucking everything into itself.
- Now, the tough part… Fold the roll away from you, tuck in both sides, then continue to roll the roll away from you. (Did that sound as awkward and I think it sounded? Anyway…. I’m sure you can youtube how to do it.. yep, skip to 2:15)
- Lay the rolls on a plate seam side down and cover with damp paper towel to keep them from getting dry.
- Serve with your favorite peanut sauce and you are good to go!
- The peanut sauce recipe I used was from here, Minimalist Baker – she’s amazing you should definitely check her out.